Tuesday, August 27, 2013

A Roundabout Day

Good morning. Wake up kids. Dress kids. Feed kids. Brush kids. Buckle Kids. Drive kids... wah, wait! What's this?! There's a weird round shaped thing in my straight-lined Lincoln streets!! What do I do?! What does it MEAN?!! Oh, the humanity!

Okay, seriously, I'm new to the "south-side" and Sheridan Blvd is my new turf. There are two roundabouts on this road about 7 blocks apart and I thought it would be awesome for traffic flow. And, maybe it is.... but, some people totally freak out at them and either: 1. Sit. And, sit. And, sit some more. or 2. Dart into the circle as fast as they can without looking or yielding. I usually end up coming across both on my daily morning commute and I've only done it for a week. I'll sit behind sitter as he/she waits for ALL of the traffic to clean from every side. Then, when I get almost around, a darter will spring right in front of me, causing me to slam the brakes. I have to take a deep breath and remember, "The peace of Christ be with you." I'm hoping that maybe these are all new drivers to the area like me and it will smooth out with time... we will see.

Also, roundabout's have a "truck apron" for larger trucks to make it around them - but, they are not a good design for trucks or trailers. These vehicles have to wait forever for a big enough opening to merge into traffic. I always end up behind a sitter and then a truck/trailer full of lawn mowing equipment. I haven't been late yet, so maybe I'm just venting a little. Just a little, tiny bit.

Here's a link on how awesome our roundabouts are:


And I love that these roundabouts are so awesome they have their own commercial!

No comments: