Sunday, June 6, 2010

Stones

Most of my family is already aware of the fact that I had a very painful episode with a Kidney Stone, but for those of you not already apprised of the situation - here's my story:

I was having a great evening on Monday, May 24th. I had gotten some Wii game from the library and enjoyed making a very silly character for Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader. Apparently, I am NOT smarter than a 5th grader... things started to go downhill during Crazy Golf. For one, the game itself was not great and did not use the Wii Remote to it's full advantage. Additionally, I began to get a dull pain in my side. I was so uncomfortable while we tried to play Family Feud on Facebook that I couldn't click any longer.

I decided to just lay down and go to sleep. The problem was that no matter which position I was in, I could not diminish the pain in my side. It was constant and seemed to only get worse the longer I tried to wait it out. I tried a warm bath and it was okay, but as soon as I got out, the pain was back and was not lessened at all.

I'll spare you all the gory details, but I did manage to make it to 1:15AM before I woke my slumbering spouse. I had self-diagnosed that it wasn't my appendix as my side was not tender to the touch, but I had no idea what was wrong.

As quick as we could, with 3 sleepy children, we headed out for a very expensive trip to the ER. They gave me some pain meds right away, but I still didn't feel much relief. They took a CAT scan and found the tiny stone that made it's way out of my kidney. Once they had determined that it was small enough to pass on it's own, they gave me a new medication and I FINALLY felt the pain go away (it was probably 3:30AM).

As quickly as it came, it was soon over. The next day I was still groggy and my head was in a cloud from the medication. No more pain in the side, I just had some major nausea. Thankfully, my parents came up the night before and stayed the whole next day to help with the kids - THANK YOU mom and dad!! I didn't even feel the stone pass, but I did have to catch it in a filtering funnel thing - which was an ultimate joy to use...

I'm just glad it all seems like a bad dream and I hope I don't have to go through it again anytime soon!

No comments: